Manufacturing in Arizona
In Arizona, new technologies and high-tech advancements occur at the speed of light. At the heart, the thousands of vast and varied manufacturing companies propelling Arizona's economy into the next era of growth. These companies also prove manufacturing is anything but outdated, industrial assembly lines. Arizona's manufacturing is high tech. It's a computer driven powerhouse of the future. It's high-wages and its outputs are impacting the world. In Arizona, we're manufacturing a revolution.
Industry leaders such as Intel, Microchip, Freescale Semiconductor, Honeywell, Raytheon, JDA Software, Frito Lay and Insight all manufacture in Arizona. As do smaller companies making a giant impact – Kutta Radios, HJ3 Composite Technologies, Kahtoola, Pivot Manufacturing, Nichols Precision, Instant BioScan and hundreds more.
With such innovative, forward- thinking companies in Arizona's eco-system, it's no surprise our state ranks fourth in the nation for Semiconductor Production and fourth in the nation in Space & Defense Manufacturing.
Additional Arizona manufacturing statistics:
- Total manufacturing employment exceeded 155,000 in 2013. (BLS, QCEW)
- 1 manufacturing job in AZ supports an additional 1.30 jobs, which means there are 201,556 additional jobs in Arizona that are supported by manufacturing
- Over 80% of Arizona's $19.4 billion in exports for 2013 were manufactured goods. The largest sectors for manufactured goods were: computer and electronic products, transportation equipment (which includes aircraft and spacecraft) and non-electrical machinery (U.S. Department of Commerce)
- There were a total of 4,583 establishments that manufactured in Arizona in 2013. (BLS, QCEW)
- The average yearly wage for a manufacturing position in 2013 was $69,060. This is more than 50% higher than the average wage for all positions in Arizona. (BLS, QCEW)
- Arizona’s total manufacturing output contribution to State Gross Domestic Product (GDP) was more than $24 billion in 2013, which accounts for nearly 9 percent of State GDP. (BEA, GDP)
- Arizona’s manufacturing sector has continued to see its output grow since The Great Recession and is at its highest level since then. Below is an overview of manufacturing output for the most recent years.